Monday, October 13, 2008

I realize that i am sort of hit and miss with this blog thing. I always thought that my life wasn't interesting enough to blog about and i would start when i had a kid or two to talk about. So in anticipation of that I started. Well since that sort of got derailed (see dust and clean) I guess it is purely just me and my life. I don't want to seem cavilier about anything but you just gotta move on.

So on to what i am doing. Last week CW and i had a conversation that put the fear of "ecomomic disaster, market failure, and job loss" in me. I work in a "luxury" industry and it could dry up with the market. So i decided that i needed to be a more effective and efficient consumer. Now what does that really mean? A few things. I will start with the coupon thing. I got a sunday newspaper with coupons and adds and went to work. There are 20 billion blogs on how to save money and get things for free. There is quite a contingency of women in my ward that are way into this. I kind of scoffed at this because i don't think there were being 100% smart about it. That is neither her nor there and i don't want to offend anybody. Talking to my sister in law, Michelle, she kind of changed my mind about it. It is all about moderation. Sure there are lots of stuff that you can get for free but i decided if i wouldn't buy it normally then i won't get it for free. I feel that there is enough waste in the world already why get it just because it is free. (i have come along way, baby to get to that mental point) Also, i think you need to be careful because this might not be the most healthful way to eat.

This leads me to my next thing. There is a co-op here called bountiful baskets. It is a non-profit group that buys straight from distrubters and local farms for fresh produce veggies and fruit. $15 bucks every 2 weeks for a laundry basket of goods. You don't know what you'll get but i was impressed with the selection. I split it with a friend because i didn't think CW and i could consume it all ourselves. They also have other offerings. Crazy me, i bought a box of pears. I can't remember exactly how much but a lot. I did it with the idea that i would can it. So i know, canning Amy? I will let you know how it turns out.

There is more but this is entirely too long already and i need to get dinner going.

2 comments:

Loren said...

hey blue stirpe! (have you fixed that yet?) :) You are totally the expert now with canning pears, just be prepared to spend all day peeling and coring. I'll email you that recipe for the pear pie filling...unless you want to call again. You will catch me one of these times!

digestibletrax said...

sounds like a good veggie deal.the coupn this is fun if you think of it as a game. depending on how much I save i either spend my savings on something I can't normally afford, like fresh flowers if i'm under $10, anything over that I throw into a separate savings account for new clothes for me!