Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fresh & Easy saved my life

A new store in the neighborhood just opened up. Fresh & Easy. I love the place. The produce is, well, fresh and well priced with a good selection. There are a lot of premade meals which has saved me from my husband’s hungry tummy. Or pre-prepared and all you do its cook it up. It is a small store that you can cruise through in a matter of minutes. They keep the costs down by having few employees and all checkout lanes are the self serve type, and finally because they are part of the Tesco family. Tesco may not be a familiar name to most but it is a British shop (originally, now global) that has buying capabilities to rival Wal-Mart. In fact they are Wal-Mart’s biggest competition internationally. It’s kind of funny actually. While on my mission in Hungary, most of the grocery stores were small type stores and even then, we didn’t use them that often. It was off to the bakery (pekseg) to get bread or the stand on the corner for our fruits and vegetables. But two of my areas, Szeged and Pecs, they opened a Tesco while I served there. It was all people could talk about for months. The excitement was palpable. We missionaries were pretty excited. They had an amerikai food aisle with such luxuries as corn flakes and peanut butter. I also had a companion that liked their Fank (a doughnut type thing with jam in the middle) and we went often for that. So for the second time in my life Tesco has changed my shopping habits - once going from small to large and now from large to small.

PS I heard that Wal-Mart is now looking at opening up smaller shops!
PPS I don't shop at Wal-Mart, the nearest one, i've heard from a reliable source, has vermin of the 3 letter word variety that are only cute in animated movies.

No comments: